What happens if the Respondent files an answer or response?

The Respondent can file a reply or Response to Dissolution to the petition.

A Response is a written document filed by the Respondent that gives the Respondent a chance to rely upon and agree or disagree with the requests made by the Petitioner in the Petition. The Respondent must file the response with the Court within a certain number of days and must make sure the Petitioner receives a copy of the response.

There is a fee for filing a response.

Depending on the Response, you may be required to attend a hearing or conference. If a hearing is set, you will receive a notice from the court.

Make sure to change your address with the Court to ensure that you receive all court notices. You must attend all hearings or conferences set by the court.

You may also receive an Order from the court telling you and the other party to attend an Expedited Differentiated Case Management Conference (EDCM) at the Conciliation Court. You both must come to that conference. The purpose of the EDCM is to determine whether there are any safety concerns and/or whether the Petitioner and Respondent agree on any parts of the divorce. This is a two-step process where concerns can be reported to the Court and if there are areas of agreement, Conciliation Court staff will assist you in completing paperwork that outlines your agreements. This will expedite the divorce process for you.

Show All Answers

1. What happens in a dissolution or divorce?
2. Where can I get more information?
3. What is eCourt?
4. How do I start the divorce?
5. How do I file the divorce papers with the Court?
6. How do I serve the Respondent with the divorce papers?
7. How do I let the Court know that I have served the other party?
8. How long do I need to wait after service?
9. What happens if the Respondent files an answer or response?