How do I start the divorce?

You may speak with a lawyer to get legal advice. This will help you determine the best course of action for you.  

In Arizona, a divorce is called a Dissolution of Marriage. To start your dissolution or divorce, you must complete a “Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with Children or a Petition for Dissolution Without Children ” and file it with the court. The form is available at the eCourt website and/or the Pinal County Clerk of Court.

When you file the Petition for Dissolution at the Clerk of Court, you will be given a case number. Your case number will begin with DO. Always keep this number with you when you call or come to court. “Pre-decree” petitions are those filed before a Decree of Dissolution of Marriage, Legal Separation or Annulment, or Judgment of Paternity is entered.

The Petition is an important legal document and should be completed carefully. The Petition should include all the information about what the Petitioner is asking for on all issues in the divorce. The Court cannot grant anything that has not been requested properly. With the petition, the initiating party must also complete additional documents that must also be filed with the court. These documents include:

  • Family Court Cover Sheet
  • Confidential Sensitive Data Form
  • Summons
  • Preliminary Injunction
  • Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce) With or Without Children
  • Notice of Right to Convert Health Insurance
  • Notice Regarding Creditors
  • Affidavit of Minor Children
  • Order to Attend Parent Education
  • Parenting Plan

All of these forms are available at eCourt, or go to Pinal County Clerk of Court.

Show All Answers

1. What happens in a dissolution or divorce?
2. Where can I get more information?
3. What is eCourt?
4. How do I start the divorce?
5. How do I file the divorce papers with the Court?
6. How do I serve the Respondent with the divorce papers?
7. How do I let the Court know that I have served the other party?
8. How long do I need to wait after service?
9. What happens if the Respondent files an answer or response?