Floodplain Permitting

Applying for a Permit

Any development that is proposed within a floodplain requires a Floodplain Use Permit before construction can begin. The Flood Control District reviews plans and proposals for development to ensure that the project meets the minimum requirements of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and the Pinal County Floodplain Ordinance. In addition to this, the Floodplain Use Permit process helps to ensure that a development project will not have an adverse impact to the floodplain or to adjacent properties.

For Commercial and Industrial projects as well as Subdivisions, the Floodplain Use Permitting process is included as a step within the Community Development Department's Site Plan Review or Subdivision Review and Platting process.

For single-lot residential development such as new homes or accessory buildings, a Floodplain Use Permit must be applied for separately from a Building Permit. Due to the requirements that may be imposed on your proposed structure (such as elevating the building to one foot above the base flood elevation), it is highly recommended that you wait to apply for a Floodplain Use Permit until after you have applied for a Building Permit.

If your project is located within a County Dependent Community, then a Floodplain Use Permit from Pinal County will be required before the City or Town will approve your development plans or permit. Pinal County has 7 County Dependent Communities who rely on Pinal County to perform their Floodplain Management. These communities include Coolidge, Eloy, Kearny, Mammoth, Maricopa, Superior, and Winkleman.

An applicant may receive a clarification from the Pinal County Flood Control District of its interpretation or application of a statute, ordinance, regulation, executive order, delegation agreement or authorized substantive policy statement as provided in A.R.S. § 48-3649.

To apply for a Floodplain Use Permit, please download and complete the following application:

For projects that do not require a Floodplain Use Permit, a Floodplain Clearance may be given instead. For more information regarding Floodplain Clearances, please refer to the informational sheet: Floodplain Clearance Information (PDF).

How to Submit a Floodplain Use Permit

Submitting a floodplain use permit can now be done online at any time using Pinal County's new Electronic Submittal Process.

Once you have gathered your documentation (Completed Permit Application, Plans, etc. Please refer to the checklist above) you can submit them through the Citizen Access Portal.

You will need to log in to the portal and then select "Floodplain Use Permit" under the Public Works tab. From there you can fill out the online forms and then upload your documents for review. Once submitted you should receive a confirmation with new permit number.

Flood Control District staff will add the permit to the review queue and will contact you by email if revisions or changes are needed to the permit application and associated documents.

Manufactured Homes in Floodplains

Installing a new or replacement manufactured home within a floodplain requires many steps to complete successfully. In addition to obtaining a Floodplain Use Permit and Manufactured Home Permit from Pinal County, property owners must also obtain a permit from the Arizona Office of Manufactured Housing. Here are the typical steps that must be taken to properly permit and install your new home:

  1. Email the Pinal County Flood Control District or call 520-866-6411 to see if a base flood elevation or depth has been determined for your property. If not, Pinal County will determine the flood elevation or depth at your manufactured home site to help ensure compliance with Local, State, and Federal Regulations.
  2. Hire an Arizona Registered Professional Engineer to develop a foundation plan for the home that complies with the Pinal County Floodplain Ordinance, the elevation requirements, and all applicable Manufactured Home Regulations. The engineer needs to also complete a pre-construction elevation certificate for the home. Alternatively, you can have a surveyor complete the elevation certificate that goes along with the plans. A temporary benchmark should also be placed on the property to ensure that the foundation is built up high enough and/or so the installer knows how high the home needs to be set.
  3. Apply for a Floodplain Use Permit with Pinal County and submit your plans and elevation certificate for review.
  4. If the plans and elevation are acceptable you will receive an acceptance letter from the Flood Control District. You will then need to apply for a manufactured home permit with the state of Arizona. 
  5. If the state of Arizona approves your plans you will need to bring three approved copies of back to Pinal County. Your Floodplain Use Permit and Manufactured Home Permit will be issued after the plans are verified to be correct.
  6. Finally, install the home following the plans and receive the required inspections by Pinal County Staff.
  7. When the installation is complete, call the surveyor back out to the property to complete a final construction elevation certificate. Submit a copy of the elevation certificate to Pinal County for Review.
  8. Once the elevation certificate is approved you will get your electrical clearance and/or certificate for occupancy.