Voters with Disabilities

Voters requiring assistance or with disabilities may:

  1. Request an early ballot be mailed to them. (Request an Early Ballot (PDF).)
  2. Have their name placed on the active early voting list (AEVL). (Request to be an Active Early Voter (PDF).)
  3. Vote at one of these early voting sites: Express Vote units are available at all Early Voting Sites.
  4. Vote at their precinct poll site. (Find your polling location.) Express Vote units are available at all polling locations on Election Day.
  5. Request or bring assistance from either a family member, friend, or two poll workers at your poll site.
  6. Curbside Voting for those who are unable to enter their polling location. (See Curbside Voting information below.)
  7. If in the hospital or bedridden, request emergency Voting through Voter Registration at 520-509-3555.
  8. To request an accommodation in voting at the polling site, contact the Election Marshal at the site or contact the Elections Department at 520-866-7550.

Curbside Voting for those unable to enter their polling location:

The inspector is in charge of this procedure and must be notified first.

  • Paper ballot for curbside Voter:
    • Marshal, using the precinct E-poll book, shall:
      • Verify the Voter's ID using the same rules as with any non-curbside voter
      • Verify the registration status of the Voter
      • Notify Inspector
  • The inspector will direct two poll workers of opposite political parties (Judges and/or Clerks) to go curbside with the appropriate ballot, secrecy sleeve, and E-pollbook or Provisional Roster.
  • Judges / Clerks
    • Take the appropriate ballot, secrecy sleeve, and Signature Roster or Provisional Roster and form out to the Voter
    • Permit Voter to privately vote ballot after having signed the E-poll book
    • Provisional Ballot procedure must be followed for curbside Voters if Voter is in a Provisional Ballot situation
    • Returned voted ballot (inside secrecy sleeve or Provisional envelope) will be placed in the ballot box or in the Provisional Ballot bag

If you believe you have a special circumstance or need Curbside Voting, please call the Elections Department at 520-866-7558

Help America Vote Act (HAVA)

In 2002, Congress passed the Help America Vote Act (HAVA), intended to reform and improve the voting process. HAVA created minimum standards that states must address in key areas of the voting process, including voter registration and voter access. For additional information about HAVA, visit the U.S. Election Assistance Commission. You have the right to file a complaint under HAVA if you believe a violation has occurred.

Americans with Disability Act (ADA)

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in employment, transportation, public accommodation, communications, and governmental activities. Its purpose is to make sure that people with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. The ADA gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications. 

Arizona Civil Rights Act (ACRA)

The Arizona Civil Rights Act (ACRA) is an Arizona law that prohibits discrimination in employment, voting, public accommodations, disability, and housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age (40 years old or older), national origin or disability. 

Information about filing a charge of discrimination with the Arizona Attorney General Civil Rights Division

711 for TRS Consumer Guide (PDF)

The Federal Communications Commission adopted the use of the 711 dialing code for access to Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS). TRS permits persons with a hearing or speech disability to use the telephone system via a text telephone (TTY) or other device to call persons with or without such disabilities. For more information about the various types of TRS, see the FCC's consumer guide or visit the website of our Disability Rights Office (DRO).